Nanday Conure Forum

Message #6030. This is a followup to #6029.

Name:Randy
Date:Sunday April 15, 2007 8:26:17 am MDT
Subject:Re: Biting
Message:Randy wrote:
> I say if you have flighted birds train them.
> Train them and train your self,
>
> The way to a well behaved bird (flighted or clipped) is through
> training and the regime you and your bird establish as upkeep of said
> training.
> (Its amazing what you can get a parrot to do when he thinks he's in
> charge)
>
> The cage is only a cage to us.
> To him its home,SECURITY,and maybe a chance to breed (if your bird is
> trained).
>
> My birds are in and out of there cages all day long if i'm at home.
> Some times I pry my eclectus away from his food just long enough for
> some lovin and stick him back in while i'm doing house chores or
> whatever.
>
> If I have guest I let them interact with my birds if they want to (my
> guest). If not they stay in there cages for safety, (most times it's
> both).
> This way no unfortunate accident can happen.(and this list could be
> long).
>
> A flighted bird can die just as easy as a clipped bird. (and this
> list could also be long).
>
> Lastly what I really wanted to post about as I'm no longer here daily
> was I saw some pics of clipped birds outdoors in the gallery.
>
> I realize these are mostly photo opp's for the gallery.
> I just wanted to remind you guys to please keep your guard up when
> doing this.
>
> All it takes is a blink of an eye and your baby could be in the
> talons of a raptor.
>
> My birds are trained for free flight (see connor in the gallery)
> believe me when I tell you raptors can be ninja's in an urban
> setting.
>
> And if hungry enough (like during winter or approaching spring) they
> will tolerate humans to get to food (your baby).
>
> I know a woman who had to watch her GCC. get carried away by a
> redtailed hawk   (and this bird was flighted).
>
> I'm studying to be a falconer believe me when I tell you this wasn't
> pretty to watch so please be careful guys a clipped bird outdoors
> doesn't stand a chance.
>
> Randy Forbes
 PS
I also wanted to say hi to margrate dont see here and some of the other ol'e timers.
Hope all is well
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Linda wrote:
> > Kit , no you didn't offend. Don't take correction or different
> advice
> > so to heart and personally. It is the birds that count here.
> >
> > Your vet might recommend and agree with clipping, mine does too.
> >
> > However, this is a long fought out argument as I've said that
> can't
> > be won.
> > What doesn't fly with me is the clipping of wings and this is why
> >
> > 1. And you state it in your post. It gives YOU control, more of it
> > anyway.
> > Birds by their very nature are wild, and we don't really have the
> > right to be "Cutting any part of their wings. (This is my STRONG
> > opinion).
> >
> > 2. Way too many people, especially in pet stores clip wings and
> too
> > many people do it wrong or so poorly that eventually the bird
> really
> > gets hurt or drops like rocks cuz it's just not done properly.
> >
> > My main reason however is deep spiritual connection to my flock.
> They
> > in their eyes tell me I'm intruding on grounds I have no business
> > treading on.
> >
> > besides they come to me if I call them.
> >
> >
> > Clipping is simply and honestly for humans in every sense of the
> word
> > and is not meant for the birds.
> >
> >
> > The other half of your post seemed that it was more appropriate to
> > keep this bird caged when you have guests.
> >
> > That's something I simply will not do. As far as I'm concerned
> guests
> > coming into my home are coming to visit the family, and it includes
> my
> > birds, and people who do come over and I make sure they know
> before
> > coming that I have birds that my guests learn the "Personalities,
> or
> > better yet birdanalities of my feathered charges.
> >
> > Therefore, I disagree with you completely on clipping, and not
> > letting the bird fly free.
> >
> > Birds are smart enough once again to know when you tell them or
> give
> > them some kind of cue without hurting them in any way when they
> are
> > not behaving in respectful ways.
> >
> > As I've said many times before, give birds credit when credit is
> > due.
> > they understand what you mean better than you think without using
> the
> > sissors on their wings.......
> >
> > And of course Kit, please don't think that you've offended. You
> like
> > all of the rest of us, me especially still have much to learn
> about
> > the care and keeping of our pet birds.
> >
> > "With this post it's important that you understand, not everyone
> > gathering to read this post agrees with me. That is why we call
> this
> > a forum.
> >
> > We are here to learn from each other, and to support each other in
> > times of need when it comes to our feathered companions.
> >
> > Good luck Kit.
> >
> > your bird's wings. This was never my intention. It's a puzzle to
> me,
> > > since it was recommended to me by my bird vet. She thinks it's a
> > bad
> > > idea to let a bird fly around and bite people. She has a wide
> bird
> > > practice and several of her own birds. I agree with her.
> > > I never suggested that you keep your bird in its cage all the
> > time.
> > > In fact, if your bird's wings were to be clipped, you might find
> > > yourself giving him/her more time out of cage because you would
> be
> > > more in control of the situation.
> > > I do suggest you read a couple of books - Guide to a Well
> Behaved
> > > Parrot and The Second Hand Parrot come to mind. Both are
> excellent.
> >
> > > I have three very happy birds who come out of their cages for
> > several
> > > hours a day and play with us, and on their play gyms, and on the
> > tops
> > > of their cages. They're pretty athletic, climbing and hanging,
> and
> > > generally having a good time. They're in excellent health,
> despite
> > > their primaries being trimmed.
> > > My adopted conure defends me. That negatively affects the
> quality
> > of
> > > her life, since few people want to play with her besides me.
> That's
> > a
> > > pity, so we are working on changing that behavior in a way that
> my
> > > family is prepared to participate in. I hope cuddling your
> biting
> > > bird works for you. It may, as long as your daughter isn't
> > present.
> > > And perhaps in the long run, you may win him/her over.
> > > I hope so, because a relationship with a bird is wonderful, and
> > like
> > > nothing else in the world. I've had several birds, through my
> > life,
> > > with whom I've had close relationships. I wouldn't trade one of
> > those
> > > relationships for anything. Good luck!
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > zi-glitterati wrote:
> > > > Linda wrote:
> > > > > zi-glitterati, I'm sorry the worst possible advice you can
> get
> > > for
> > > > > biting is to take the two suggestions that were made to you
> of
> > > > > Putting this Nanday in its cage, and clipping its wings!
> > > > >     
> > > > >     The issue with the nanday could be two fold.
> > > > > 1. This ten year old nanday could be hormonal and is
> > "defending
> > > > your
> > > > > daughter as mate.
> > > > > 2. the recent move your daughter made is frightening to him
> > and
> > > it
> > > > is
> > > > > "Fear based biting.
> > > > >
> > > > > Just a little advice:
> > > > > 1. go back on this board- way back into the archives you
> will
> > > find
> > > > > many posts made by our experts, not me. and some links to
> > > websites
> > > > > that will help you understand what biting is all about.
> > > > >
> > > > > 2. Give the bird credit when credit is due by believing he
> > > > > understands the words, "No bite!" it actually can be
> effective.
> >
> > > > >
> > > > > Remember a bird's beak is an equivalent of our mouths and it
> > is
> > > > their                                                          
>
> >
> > >
> > > >           
> > > > > source of communication with us, and unfortunately it often
> > does
> > > > mean
> > > >
> > > > Linda...
> > > > Thank you for responding to my posting. You have given me some
> > > good
> > > > advice. I do believe that the bird defends my daughter as
> mate.
> > I
> > > > have watched him attempt to feed her. HA! I will take your
> > advice
> > > and
> > > > go back into the archives and read what others have posted. I
> > > totally
> > > > agree with you in regards to clipping a birds wings. I would
> > never
> > > > allow that to happen. Thanks Again!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > some biting.....
> > > > >
> > > > > I have also occassionally to sooth a biting bird, cuddled
> it.
> > > Now
> > > > > they rarely bite.
> > > > >
> > > > > Clipping wings: is an argument that just can't be won.
> > > > >
> > > > > However, I will say this: Clipping wings is for humans not
> > > birds!!
> > > > >
> > > > > birds by their very nature are wild, but our pet parrots are
> > > > > dependent upon us and it's unfair for us to expect them to
> > > 'behave
> > > > > like our human children.
> > > > >
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > > > My daughter recently moved and could not take her bird, a
> > > nanday
> > > > > > conure, with her. I am keeping the bird.   The bird is
> > > > > approximately
> > > > > > 10 years old. I love the bird and would like to let him
> out
> > of
> > > > his
> > > > > > cage to fly and get some exercise. He was free to fly
> around
> > > the
> > > > > > first few years and then he began to attack and bite! He
> > took
> > > a
> > > > > bite
> > > > > > out of my face once, and I have been afraid of him since.
> He
> > > > seems
> > > > > to
> > > > > > protect my daughter and doesn't bite her, but everyone
> else
> > he
> > > > > attacks
> > > > > > and bites. Do you have any suggestions for me. I would
> > > > appreciate
> > > > > any
> > > > > > help or info. Thanks, zi-glitterati

First   |   Previous   |   Next   message in this thread

Previous thread   |   Next thread

Previous   |   Next   message by date

   

Register or Login (optional)

Help   |   Message index   |   Search

Home  |  Contact  |  Galleries  |  Forum  |  Nanday Pages  |  Links  |  Rasky  |  Store
Google