Nanday Conure Forum

Message #5988. This is a followup to #5987.

Name:Linda
Date:Friday April 6, 2007 5:13:28 pm MDT
Subject:Re: Biting
Message:Kit , no you didn't offend. Don't take correction or different advice so to heart and personally. It is the birds that count here.
 
 Your vet might recommend and agree with clipping, mine does too.

However, this is a long fought out argument as I've said that can't be won.
What doesn't fly with me is the clipping of wings and this is why

1. And you state it in your post. It gives YOU control, more of it anyway.
Birds by their very nature are wild, and we don't really have the right to be "Cutting any part of their wings. (This is my STRONG opinion).

2. Way too many people, especially in pet stores clip wings and too many people do it wrong or so poorly that eventually the bird really gets hurt or drops like rocks cuz it's just not done properly.

My main reason however is deep spiritual connection to my flock. They in their eyes tell me I'm intruding on grounds I have no business treading on.

besides they come to me if I call them.


Clipping is simply and honestly for humans in every sense of the word and is not meant for the birds.


The other half of your post seemed that it was more appropriate to keep this bird caged when you have guests.

That's something I simply will not do. As far as I'm concerned guests coming into my home are coming to visit the family, and it includes my birds, and people who do come over and I make sure they know before coming that I have birds that my guests learn the "Personalities, or better yet birdanalities of my feathered charges.

Therefore, I disagree with you completely on clipping, and not letting the bird fly free.

Birds are smart enough once again to know when you tell them or give them some kind of cue without hurting them in any way when they are not behaving in respectful ways.

As I've said many times before, give birds credit when credit is due.
they understand what you mean better than you think without using the sissors on their wings.......

And of course Kit, please don't think that you've offended. You like all of the rest of us, me especially still have much to learn about the care and keeping of our pet birds.

"With this post it's important that you understand, not everyone gathering to read this post agrees with me. That is why we call this a forum.

We are here to learn from each other, and to support each other in times of need when it comes to our feathered companions.

Good luck Kit.

your bird's wings. This was never my intention. It's a puzzle to me,
> since it was recommended to me by my bird vet. She thinks it's a bad
> idea to let a bird fly around and bite people. She has a wide bird
> practice and several of her own birds. I agree with her.
> I never suggested that you keep your bird in its cage all the time.
> In fact, if your bird's wings were to be clipped, you might find
> yourself giving him/her more time out of cage because you would be
> more in control of the situation.
> I do suggest you read a couple of books - Guide to a Well Behaved
> Parrot and The Second Hand Parrot come to mind. Both are excellent.
> I have three very happy birds who come out of their cages for several
> hours a day and play with us, and on their play gyms, and on the tops
> of their cages. They're pretty athletic, climbing and hanging, and
> generally having a good time. They're in excellent health, despite
> their primaries being trimmed.
> My adopted conure defends me. That negatively affects the quality of
> her life, since few people want to play with her besides me. That's a
> pity, so we are working on changing that behavior in a way that my
> family is prepared to participate in. I hope cuddling your biting
> bird works for you. It may, as long as your daughter isn't present.
> And perhaps in the long run, you may win him/her over.
> I hope so, because a relationship with a bird is wonderful, and like
> nothing else in the world. I've had several birds, through my life,
> with whom I've had close relationships. I wouldn't trade one of those
> relationships for anything. Good luck!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> zi-glitterati wrote:
> > Linda wrote:
> > > zi-glitterati, I'm sorry the worst possible advice you can get
> for
> > > biting is to take the two suggestions that were made to you of
> > > Putting this Nanday in its cage, and clipping its wings!
> > >     
> > >     The issue with the nanday could be two fold.
> > > 1. This ten year old nanday could be hormonal and is "defending
> > your
> > > daughter as mate.
> > > 2. the recent move your daughter made is frightening to him and
> it
> > is
> > > "Fear based biting.
> > >
> > > Just a little advice:
> > > 1. go back on this board- way back into the archives you will
> find
> > > many posts made by our experts, not me. and some links to
> websites
> > > that will help you understand what biting is all about.
> > >
> > > 2. Give the bird credit when credit is due by believing he
> > > understands the words, "No bite!" it actually can be effective.
> > >
> > > Remember a bird's beak is an equivalent of our mouths and it is
> > their                                                              
>
> >           
> > > source of communication with us, and unfortunately it often does
> > mean
> >
> > Linda...
> > Thank you for responding to my posting. You have given me some
> good
> > advice. I do believe that the bird defends my daughter as mate. I
> > have watched him attempt to feed her. HA! I will take your advice
> and
> > go back into the archives and read what others have posted. I
> totally
> > agree with you in regards to clipping a birds wings. I would never
> > allow that to happen. Thanks Again!
> >
> >
> > > some biting.....
> > >
> > > I have also occassionally to sooth a biting bird, cuddled it.
> Now
> > > they rarely bite.
> > >
> > > Clipping wings: is an argument that just can't be won.
> > >
> > > However, I will say this: Clipping wings is for humans not
> birds!!
> > >
> > > birds by their very nature are wild, but our pet parrots are
> > > dependent upon us and it's unfair for us to expect them to
> 'behave
> > > like our human children.
> > >
> > > wrote:
> > > > My daughter recently moved and could not take her bird, a
> nanday
> > > > conure, with her. I am keeping the bird.   The bird is
> > > approximately
> > > > 10 years old. I love the bird and would like to let him out of
> > his
> > > > cage to fly and get some exercise. He was free to fly around
> the
> > > > first few years and then he began to attack and bite! He took
> a
> > > bite
> > > > out of my face once, and I have been afraid of him since. He
> > seems
> > > to
> > > > protect my daughter and doesn't bite her, but everyone else he
> > > attacks
> > > > and bites. Do you have any suggestions for me. I would
> > appreciate
> > > any
> > > > help or info. Thanks, zi-glitterati

First   |   Previous   |   Next   message in this thread

Previous thread   |   Next thread

Previous   |   Next   message by date

   

Register or Login (optional)

Help   |   Message index   |   Search

Home  |  Contact  |  Galleries  |  Forum  |  Nanday Pages  |  Links  |  Rasky  |  Store

Google